A clue to unravel the comings of energy itself, the very essence of it, by toying with ideas, being brought forth by the recent breakthrough mentioned in the article 'Antimatter Trapped For the First Time'.
Aiming at explaining energy, what is energy, digging out and down to the origins, the very beginnings of universe itself. As it appears, energy pre-exists all of the fundamental entities. Matter, and antimatter for that ..matter, space and time included, appeared in the scene, called universe, emerged after the primordial ..soup was created. Energy being the real fundamental of all fundamentals, energy pre-existing the very universe itself.
Clues dug out of that article, to be used as fodder for what to come out of such an endeavour
"This a big step. First, it gets humanity closer to understanding one of the biggest mysteries of the Universe: What happened to all the antimatter that was created during the Big Bang?
"In theory, matter and antimatter were created in equal parts during the Big Bang. However, the latter disappeared shortly thereafter."
- Matter, antimatter created to 'house' energy. Energy confined within their narrow or not, domains. Harnessing energy, giving energy substance and purpose(?). From a state-less state to a state ..ready-to-act. Entities with purpose.
Or at least, we can't seem to find it. The spokesman for CERN's ALPHA experiment—Jeffrey Hangst of Aarhus University, Denmark—says that trapping these atoms was a bit of an overwhelming experience:
- The breakthrough, in a universe of matter, the predominant entity for entrapment of energy, the antimatter created with the same purpose, hidden and elusive.
"What's new about Alpha is that now we've managed to hold on to those atoms. We have a magnetic bowl, kind of a bottle, that holds the antihydrogen [...]
"For reasons that no one yet understands, nature ruled out antimatter."
- 'Nature ruled out antimmatter'. A clue to the essence of energy hidden within this 'caprice' of nature. Nature had to accommodate to requirements that energy itself demanded? By being a pre-existing 'player' set the rules of the 'game', what nature had to follow? An as yet unknown reason dictated by the very essence of energy?
"It is thus very rewarding, and a bit overwhelming, to look at the ALPHA device and know that it contains stable, neutral atoms of antimatter."
The other reason why this is an important step is its potential to solve our need for unlimited energy.
One of the facts to dig out what energy is? Clues hidden in this assumption. What triggers such an unlimited supply of energy. A essential property of energy as yet un-revealed.
"When antihydrogen touches matter—as shown in the image above—it releases a huge amount of energy."
- The make-up of antimatter itself, or the reason why matter and antimatter had to be created in the first place, leading towards ideas to explain energy itself. The very fact of isolating antimatter as such, gaining first-hand knowledge by ..toying, experimenting with the samples manufactured that way. Hotfooting the breakthroughs achieved, as the were experienced in the fields of nanotechnology.
"Many scientists speculate that antimatter may be the key to provide unlimited power capable of driving machines that are unthinkable right now. Eventually, it could be the stuff that could power new engines capable of taking us to the stars at near-light speed."
- Unlimited power might be there, but the machines still primitive. Machines to use the energy provided by antimatter need to be invented.
"The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than chemical energy, about 4 orders of magnitude greater than nuclear energy that can be liberated today using nuclear fission, and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible from fusion.
The reaction of 1 kilogram of antimatter with 1 kilogram of matter would produce 180 petajoules of energy or the rough equivalent of 43 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 megatons, which required the use of hundreds of kilograms of fissile material. Wikipedia"
- The amount of fuel required is getting smaller and smaller and the energy released larger and larger. The deeper the digging gets into nature the higher the potential presented.