Sunday 17 October 2010

Continuous attractors and memory retrieval?



This extract intrigued me. It is from the abstract of the paper titled as 'Context-dependent retrieval of information by neural-network dynamics with continuous attractors', published in the journal, Neural Networks, Volume 20, Issue 6, August 2007, Pages 705-713, cited in the ScienceDirect website

"Our results suggest that keyword extraction by the neural-network dynamics with continuous attractors might symbolically represent context-dependent retrieval of short-term memory from long-term memory in the brain."

I want to toy with these ideas as they drew my attention, the former act itself, in my mind relevant to what they mentioned in their findings. Short-term memory retrieves context-dependent information from long-term memory. As I read through the paragraph, the spontaneous and instantaneous formation of short-memory, quickly linked with relevant information, the context-dependent factor, in long-term memory. Is retrieval a correct term? As, in my mind, what it actually took and takes place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.